A Brief History
On 13th January 1905,a meeting was held at the Central School, St. Margaret's Road, Plumstead, to discuss the formation of Woolwich and Plumstead Bowls Club.
A Ground was found in Shrewsbury Lane.The green Opened on 27th May 1905.
Later that day, the first General Meeting was held and Col. Edward Talfourd-Hughes was confirmed as President.
At this meeting members realised that more ground had been rented to them than they thought. It was a piece of land, which adjoined the bowling green and on which there was a tennis court.
So now the club became the Woolwich and Plumstead Bowling and Tennis Club.
The club was know as this till 1969 when the Tennis section was discontinued.
The land that was sold by the club, for the erection of two detached houses.
Affiliation to the English Bowling Association (E.B.A.) was in 1908.
The Club are one of the founder members of the K.C.B.A in 1911.
In 1937 the club became a Limited Company.
The Ladies’ Section was formed in 1948.
Mrs Val Chatfield won K.C.W.B.A. & E.W.B.A. two wood singles in 1993.
When Metrogas B.C. folded in 1999 around 20 of their bowlers joined W&P. This gave the club a massive boost in male members.
The visitors dressing room was built with help from the members in 2001
The club celebrated their centenary year in 2005
Our former President Les Brittain was named as the worlds oldest lawn bowler by Guinness World Records on his 100th Birthday in 2005.